Monday, November 10, 2008

Overheard today, guess the context

Wow, that's going to require some digging.

and

We really should put in a service call on this.

and

You are going to hate me later tonight.

and

Let me give you one more so you can make it through the night.

and

Just bite on this for 10 minutes.  It'll seem like an eternity, but we'll set a timer.

and

Which one do you want to use?  Yeah, both came in the kit.  Which one do you usually use?  Oh, I've never used these either.

and

Hey, it worked like it was supposed to.

Yes, folks, I had a cavity filled.  It's like a cross between Vincent Price and Jim Belushi using sharp instruments in my mouth.  And I really hope my cheeks are elastic so they can return to their original shapes.

Two years without insurance, five since a visit, four months since the majority of that filling fell out.  Going in, the doctor didn't know if it was going to be a filling or a root canal with crown.  Obviously I was praying for the one that wouldn't require me selling organs on the black market.

It was bad, though.  It started with doctor-strength Anbesol and two shots of novocaine "because you'll need it."  Not a good sign.  Then the excavation began.  Apparently the hemmoraging was so bad they just had me bite on gauze for 10 minutes to try to slow it down so they could finish the procedure.  Then at the end the doctor gave me another shot, just to be kind.  Yikes.  Wondering if I should take tomorrow off school preemptively, especially if I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. That conversation sounds like a pretty average Monday night. Or maybe that's just me...

    I'm glad you made it through. That mouth needs to be in good working order!

    ReplyDelete